Thread: St185 Gt4 Gearbox Issues for more HP

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default St185 Gt4 Gearbox Issues for more HP

Hello, I have a st185 that has a bit more power over standard and has always had an annoying gearbox since i've owned it. It has possible worn synchros on second gear and 3rd making shifting up or down at high revs tedious and often crunchy. I am planning on doing a full rebuild on the engine with stand alone computer, forged internals, turbo change etc and looking for quite a bit of power and i was wondering what the best route for the gearbox would be. At the moment with HKS fcon, boost, turbo etc the car has 140 kw at all four wheels and I'm chasing a bit more but want a reliable smooth gearbox. If i were to rebuild the st185 box would it be able to handle the power reliably or is it possible to put in st205 synchros or rebuild it with 205 parts. Unfortunately i am not too cluey on these gearboxes and I'm not too sure what the best way to get the best gearbox would be, I cannot find a 205 box on its own and was not sure if rebiult the standard box will be ok. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Gravel Lover Backyard Mechanic stumpygt4's Avatar

Default Re: St185 Gt4 Gearbox Issues for more HP

I know that greenline in Japan do a close ratio syncro gear kit (including new syncro's) for around $2700 I am looking ino that myself. But i would like to think the 185 box, just rebuilt would do the job fine. These are a tuff gearbox from the factory.
    As for the cost of a rebuild, I am sure some one will chime in and let you know
    Jeff Thomas
    TOYOTA TEAM CELICA
    1 x 1989 ST165 rally car, 1 x 1988 ST165 GT4 spare car & 1 ST185 khana cross car. (for now )
    1 x GT86

Junior Member Grease Monkey PitStop's Avatar

I just had a 205 box rebuilt - new syncros for 2nd and 3rd, new gasket and seal kit for the whole kit and kaboodles - $550 in parts, $500 labour

Cool, thanks guys. Sounds good, I'm hoping at the moment that a 185 box built properly will be up to the task as i can't find a 205 one at all. If anyone has any suggestions i'm all ears. Cheers!

Could I ask where you had the gearbox rebuilt.
    As I have just moved to ACT, and my second gear catches when cold.

hey, You have PM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

we have written a short article on fixing/modifying the E code gearbox as used in GT4, Supercharged/Turbocharged MR2 and some Caldinas. check out www.roadandtrack.net.au.