Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1jz Aftermarket Ecu

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1jz Aftermarket Ecu

at what stage would i have to convert to an aftermarket ecu on my 1jz auto, as i plan to put on a larger single turbo and 550cc injectors. mite sounds stupid but my friend with his 1j reckons i wont have to run aftermarket ecu, jsut hav to get resistor for injectors and a fuel cut defender...

any help on the situation

thanks

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Default Re: 1jz Aftermarket Ecu

as soon as you upgrade the injectors the stock ECU is going to be very cranky. the resistor packs will only change the injectors impedence (high/low), NOT help the ecu deal with the bigger injectors (more fuel going in for same injector pulse time).
    You can either get yourself a piggyback fuel computer or go full aftermarket... depends what other mods you have planned, but I have a general bias against piggybacks and say go aftermarket
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Thommo there are many different ways to go and each person has a different version of the "easy' or 'best" way to do it.

Whatever way you go you will need a tune once you screw it al together as you will need to set your boost level and check your fuel mixtures to ensure the engine is not running lean.Best way to do this is have a known tuner who has a reputation in your area to dyno tune your car.

of course you already know this.The reason I bring it up is because it is the answer to your question.Find the guy who you would like to use to tune your car.Tell him what results you want and take his advice on the management setup.

Most tuners have a favourite brand or two that they like to work with.

I am going GT30R with 550's and emanage which is a piggyback style computer.This allows you to keep nice factory idle control and factory auto gearbox control but also adjust your fuel mixture and even ignition timing.Just one of the many options available.

start with your best local tuner,that way you are getting good advice and you know he will be able to work with the gear you purchase. Cheers.Pete.
    [email protected]

its ok not to know everything

yeh thats another good point about the auto box, as i have email microtech askin them some questions and they say to run the standard ecu so it can control the a/c, auto box and other things and run the microtech as a piggy bak

also petespipes what power output are you hoping for with your setup the gt30r n 550''s

power output-slylux was running this turbo and injectors with a r154 [manual box] and recorded 397rwhp.I hope to do the same with the same setup............
    [email protected]

i was looking into aftermarket ecu...an microtech ltx .. a piggyback i believe are these any good..things is car will stay stock for a little while only fmic and pod..zorst will this improve the power outage if i get the ltx 12 ?

the mtech LTX are a full aftermarket computer. LTX12 is an old computer now, microtech have a new range out which is quite affordable and a noticable improvement on the old ones.
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

chrisjza70 if you are on a budget and want an immediate power increase consider the following-

the fmic goes hand in hand with upping your boost.this is because the inlet charge gets hotter so the fmic is required to cool it.The other bits required here are a boost controller at around $350 a tune and a fuel cut defender.upping the boost a few psi is the easiest and cheapest way to get an immediate p[ower increase.You do not require ANY computer changes to do this.A fuel cut defender is part of a good tune in my experience.

same advice as earlier really.Find a reputable local tuner,be honest about your budget for the immediate future and go from there.Search 1j tuning on the old site for more info.A good exhaust including dump pipes will take you toward 300rwhp with stock turbos and no aftermarket computer.

a full tune on an aftermarket computer can be expensive and needs to be adjusted each time you make physical changes to the engine.
    [email protected]

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

Re: piggybacking an aftermarket ecu onto an auto 1jz. The guy that installed my wolf 3d said that you cannot do this as you cannot split the crank angle sensor signal between the stock ecu (auto) and wolf (timing) and that is the route of my problems. If you want to go this way you can get a big single 1jz that produces 200rwkw

I have had to install an MV shift box and manualise my auto and then get the wolf doing timing as the stock ecu doesn’t need the crank angle sensor anymore.

I don’t know if this is the same with Microtechs and others though?

In hindsight, I probably should have just gotten an emanage or SAFC as I wouldn’t have had half the stuffing around that I have. I do like having the hand controller that can tell me a lot of information and tuning via laptop on the fly is good also. Once it is all sorted it better bloody make some good power.

My setup is HKS ta45s, trust manifold, trust wastegate, FMIC, 550’s, stock throttle body and inlet plenum. Soon to have cams also. Trapped 108mph in 2800lb car.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

jetpilot Automotive Encyclopaedia 1JZ.747's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    the mtech LTX are a full aftermarket computer. LTX12 is an old computer now, microtech have a new range out which is quite affordable and a noticable improvement on the old ones.

LTX12s is the correct microtech for a 1j it comes with a look to suit the engine and it comes with a base tune.

i am using a MV shift box as i wanted manual shift, you should be able to use the facotry ecu to contorl gearbox or a 7M gearbox controller, i know that sideshow has wired a few with 7M gear box controllers

i have one on my 1j it is a great computer, i dont run a ICV and it idles perfectley cold starts perfectly. with a big single through an auto box i am making 468rwhp. this is tuned by the owner of microtech global being jon blanch from microtech/rx engineering.
    Last edited by 1JZ.747; 25-01-2006 at 09:43 AM.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chris davey
    Re: piggybacking an aftermarket ecu onto an auto 1jz. The guy that installed my wolf 3d said that you cannot do this as you cannot split the crank angle sensor signal between the stock ecu (auto) and wolf (timing) and that is the route of my problems.
    This may be the case with a Wolf, but I doubt it would be the same for say, a Microtech. Wolfs are notorious for not being good with crank and cam sensors.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1JZ.747
    i have one on my 1j it is a great computer, i dont run a ICV and it idles perfectley cold starts perfectly.
    Shane, when you say cold start perfectly, does it idle up on cold start? or just idle at the same speed as when its hot?
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

M800. It will run the auto if you are prepared to spend a day on the dyno programming in the hysteresis points.

and have muchos $$$