Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weak fuel pump? (1jz-gte lost alot of power)

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

Default weak fuel pump? (1jz-gte lost alot of power)

Hi, Recently i installed a 1jz motor in my ma70.
    First test drive the 1jz was excellent felt like i was getting the claimed 208kw of power, downshifting from 4th gear to 3rd already doing about 90-100km/h and spinning the wheels up with ease. But it's since gotten more sluggish and can bearly spin the wheels up in first gear!

Now the 7mgte that i removed had simular power to what my 1jz has at the moment, the 7made some noises hear and there, and now my 1jz seems to of changed from bieng super smooth to sounding exactly the same as the 7m! infact i can't pick a difference between them if based on listening tests. The odds of this are near impossible, unless it's all to do with the same fuel pump delivering the same weak fuel pressure?

I'm thinking the only thing these engines shared in common was the fuel pump (and fuel lines) Could it be that the 1jz when i first took it for a test drive was pretty well in learning mode and made more power then, and as time hasgone on has relized it's not getting enough fuel and has learned to work with what it's getting, but not enough to cuase an error code.

Niether engine gave any codes relating to fuel, i got one regarding the speed sensor thats about it.

changed the fuel filter not long ago, which leaves the fuel pump and microfilter.

Also i've noticed the exuast heat is f&*^#n hot with the 1jz, put your hand at the back of the exuast for a couple seconds and expect to get burnt! hottest exuast i've ever felt!
    The motor is overheating according to the temp guage, but when i pull over it all looks and feels fine.

Does this sound like a weak fuel pump or something along these lines? If so whats a good drop in replacement for this car? Does it require taking hte fuel tank out to change or is it a pretty easy job to change fuel pumps?

Or i might have a few different problems (overheating could be something else all together)

CROSSPLANE CRANK! Domestic Engineer Merudo's Avatar

Default Re: weak fuel pump? (1jz-gte lost alot of power)

well if you think its the ecu that was in learning mode, couldnt you just remove the fuse for the ecu and reset it, and if it goes back to how it was when you first put it in then you have a better idea of what could be causing it?

although it might be leaning out if you have a weak fuel pump, so pushing it probably isn't the best of ideas...
    Last edited by Merudo; 23-01-2006 at 09:42 AM.

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

Why don’t you borrow a fuel pressure guage and whack it on and check. Or go to a dyno and see. Stock 1jz’s will go off the chart rich at about 4000rpm so if yours doesn’t do that, then there is something wrong with fuel delivery somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Merudo, yeah your right i'd rather not push it too hard if there is a fuel problem.

Davey, A dyno run would be the best, but i don't know of any dyno's in tassie! might be a 4wd one near hear, otherwise what should the fuel pressure be around 30-40PSI? might give that a go, or just change the fuel pump anyway.

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

about 38-40psi IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

A walbro 255l should be a straight swap for the factory pump, however my brothers 7M-GTE pump is running the 1J without issue.

You could check that the pump is getting correct power from the wiring as well. not enough power = not enough fuel... this makes sense if both engine confiruations as suffering the same symptoms as does a dying pump.
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Some toyotas changed the fuel pump resistor through switching depending on what load the car is running, IE low or high rpm. Other MA70 guys should be able to confirm that with ease....

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Indeed, and the Mk3 is one of these. That said, provided the ECU is functioning correctly, I can't see this being a problem.

I'd be putting money on it needing a new pump. It's lasted pretty long if it's gotten this far
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Thats my thoughts aswell. I'll just get one of these recomended walbro 255l pumps and see how i go. If it doesn't help, at least i have a new fuel pump and don't have to worry about that bieng an issue.

cheers all.

Exactly, one less thing to worry about, was my thinking...then my fuel pump actually died and stranded me at work, so I didn't just want it then!

HOLY SMOKES! i rang around usual places in the area for the walbro, no go, not even bosch in my area.
    So i tried toyota just see what they might want for the stock oem FP....$950 plus GST

Anyone recomend a good place to get the walbro 255l from?

thanx you very muchly, rep point for ya.

The Bling Garage Mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Wildsupra's Avatar

have you used the same exhaust system that you had on your 7M or got a new one?

These symptoms also point a bit towards a blocked cat, might be worth pulling it out and making sure u can still see through it. If you cant put in a piece of straght pipe and see if she goes good as new. make sure to replace it with a proper cat if it fixes it though, Mr Plod will be pissed if he catches ya wit no cat!!

Matty

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Dont forget to check the fuel pressure reg too, are you running much more than standard boost? If so, an aftermarket might be the order of the day
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died