Thread: 4AGE 86KW TVIS V 100KW 4AGE + Shocks

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Smile 4AGE 86KW TVIS V 100KW 4AGE + Shocks

OK, before I start pleeeze dont reply with " this q's been done to death". I know it has, and Ive just spent the last 90min going through all the posts and come to the conclusion that there are 3 opinions for every 2 questions asked....and my heads about ready to cave in. So here we go. . . .

I have a 6/1991 100KW small port (as I have learned) SX Corolla. I have always wanted a 2door and so recently imported an 88 AE92 FXGT ( yes I wanted a later version in gunmetal, but beggars can't be choosers). Drove the thing down from Brisbane on Christmas eve. Cruises OK but pickp up seemed gutless compared with SX. I have now learned that thats because its running early big port 86kW TVIS Engine.

I am trying to figure out the best kW/$$$ option to get about $160HP Engine. I was going to get Blacktop with 6peed box but after reading forums Im not so sure. (I hate 5speed in SX, 1-2 change is crap, and so is 3-2. Not sure if syncros in my box are stuffed or its characteristic of box. FXGT bos does seem a lot better in this respect - Is it worth hassle of getting 6speed (and then having s/o like BD4s make up linkages, as I've heard theyre near impossible to get - even 6speeds bloody hard to source. . . anyway, Ive gotten off the point a bit).

Im a bit of a purist, and want to keep 4AGE (in any cae it looks/suits cars styling better). After going through all these threads the consensus seems to be that Im better of modifying 4AGE than buying 20V + Box. I was thinking of keeping TVIS/86Kw head and getting some head work done (ports gas flowed/20V throttle bodies/20V extractors/2.5" exhaust, 256° cams > largest I can fit with facory computer & TVIS etc etc @ Bill Sherwoods modified 4AGE link and mating this to a 100kW Block which has higher compression (confirm please).

How does the above sound???? Would welcome comments re: done similar WRT Power / Torque V Std 100kW Motor, projected outlay for head work etc.

Also Ive got a whiteline system I want to put on car but have never been totally happy with composure of front end over mid corner bumps (car running Konis all round). I was thinking of replacing Konis with double acting (adjustable bump / rebound) shocks ie Bilsteins to fix this. Any comments???

GeeEss

Default Re: 4AGE 86KW TVIS V 100KW 4AGE + Shocks

OK,

Over 40 people have looked at this thread. . . . and not 1 reply. Did I say something wrong???

Just in case I've said anything obvious / stupid, maybe you guys should realise not all of us out there are Mechanics or apprentice mechanics. I work 6 days/week and don't have have endless time on my hands to spend hours searching all possible threads.

A bit of assistance would be appreciated.

GeeEss.

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

OK so you want around 119kw ATW.

Get a smallport 100kw motor and put in cams(not sure on duration specs)/cam gears too and that power can be achieved however in a high rev range.

Not really streetable though.

However you could go not so serious cams, put in free flowing exhaust around 2inch-2 1/2inch and a good CAI setup.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Lukey-KE20's Avatar

If money is no object and you have time why not 2ZZ-GE + 6 speed. It should fit physically - it's just a matter of what fabrication needs to be done. They are around 140kw standard.

Otherwise, put the 100kw from the SX (or somewhere else) with loom and ECU and spend you're money working that - follow Bill's guidelines.

There - a response.

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

Have you checked the bigport's timing etc to make sure it's ok?

With it tuned correctly there shouldn't be THAT much real world difference between your SX and the FX-GT.

With the 6-speed, you only need to modify one engine mount (redrill the bolt holes in the mounting plate from the AE92 to match the C160 tapped bosses), and then a little modification to the FX-GT shifter assembly will allow you to get reverse gear. I'll take some photo's when I put a 6-speed into my GF's AE92 Levin later this week.

I'd personally like to see a 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE put into an AE92 chassis, I think that would make a nice car with good streetable power. Only one engine mount requires modification, the only difficult part of that type of swap is running the exhaust given the steering rack/firewall/K-frame clearance in the AE92 compared to the ZZ corolla's. Run a PowerFC for the motor and away you go with the other required loom mods

a 1ZZFE with decent 2.25" exhaust and cold air intake will put out approx 90kw ATW and has lots of torque to play with early in the powerband, unlike a 20V. You will only get 7000rpm to play with in a 1ZZ though due to the stock rods

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Have you checked the bigport's timing etc to make sure it's ok?

With it tuned correctly there shouldn't be THAT much real world difference between your SX and the FX-GT.

With the 6-speed, you only need to modify one engine mount (redrill the bolt holes in the mounting plate from the AE92 to match the C160 tapped bosses), and then a little modification to the FX-GT shifter assembly will allow you to get reverse gear. I'll take some photo's when I put a 6-speed into my GF's AE92 Levin later this week.

I'd personally like to see a 1ZZFE or 2ZZGE put into an AE92 chassis, I think that would make a nice car with good streetable power. Only one engine mount requires modification, the only difficult part of that type of swap is running the exhaust given the steering rack/firewall/K-frame clearance in the AE92 compared to the ZZ corolla's. Run a PowerFC for the motor and away you go with the other required loom mods

a 1ZZFE with decent 2.25" exhaust and cold air intake will put out approx 90kw ATW and has lots of torque to play with early in the powerband, unlike a 20V. You will only get 7000rpm to play with in a 1ZZ though due to the stock rods

I too would love to see a ZZ motor in an AE92 chassis, and i might even contemplate doing this myself one day, given funds, time, and a free 2ZZ

THe other alternative is of course to turbo.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

AGE-16V Automotive Encyclopaedia Dimmy's Avatar

i've considered trying this into the ae82 (2zz)...but then i woke up and realised im not made of money...unfortunately

Bill's page gives a good indication of what needs to be done (http://www.billzilla.org/4agmods.htm). If you do get a BT, just remember that they do tend to snap pistons after constant 8k rpm revving, where the ST is much stronger but a bit heavier. Then you can buy yourself a megasquirt kit and ecu to run fuel maps and the rest of it to get a nice tune going
    I have been pruned by old man river!!!!!

Thanks everyone.

I'll bear all this in mind but maybe I was getting a bit ahead of myself - I have decided to do up the suspension / brakes first, take it down the track, see if I enjoy myself, and take it from there.
    I've ordered whatever TRD suspension bits (bushes/strut bearers) are still available and putting SuperPro bushes on the rest. I'll put Whiteline stabilisers / castor adjust etc etc on it but am still undecided on what springs / shocks to use. Thinking of getting TRD lowering springs + TRD 4 stage adjustable shocks (F) & TRD fixed rate (R). All eye-wateringly expensive, . . . but are they worth the extra $$$ over local (King/Lovell ? etc)???
    Still need to find out if TRD lowering springs are progressive rate or fixed - if fixed I'll just go with local progressive springs.
    Need decent brakes too - Evaluating my options there too - from the forums I can see theres more than 1 way to skin that cat too (ie better pads / GTI / AE101 etc

PS: Let me know when you've stuffed that 6 speed into your Levin JP, and how change / driveability compares with 5 speed.

GeeEss

AGE-16V Automotive Encyclopaedia Dimmy's Avatar

if you need some DBA rotors let me know, i've got a mate that sells them for a decent price

Told me $230-$240 delivered for DBA slotted rotors for series 2 SX. I think they normally sell for around $135 so you save $20 which can be spent on booze
    I have been pruned by old man river!!!!!