Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Celica --> AE86 rear disk conversion

Junior Member Grease Monkey MnToyGuy's Avatar

Default Re: Celica --> AE86 rear disk conversion

For my RA21 I used 2 driver's (passenger for you Aussies) MKI Supra cables. The conduit is the perfect length and bolts into the stock locations. Here's the problem. The swaged part limits travel. Plus the cables are slightly too short.

2 drivers's side 80/81 Supra brake cables (49 1/4" OAL)
    1 front cable from (I used a 80-83 Corolla Cable)*.
    10' of 1/8" SS cable 19x1
    Some 5/16 SS bar stock

* Front Cable lengths
    RA2X TA2X 10 5/8"
    80-83 Corolla 11 1/4"
    90-93 Celica 9 3/4"

Get 2 Supra driver's side cables for an 80/81 and cut the clevis off, face off the swage and drill for 1/8" SS cable. I made the 2 at the top on a mill, as I thought the stock ones were Aluminum.

Take your 10' of 1/8" SS 19x1 cable and cut in half (demel, chop or something so you don't fray it) slide a clevis on each one and braze.

Slide the conduit and all the fittings from the stock cable onto the new one. Then get 5/16" SS round bar stock. Cross drill and cut it to length (sorry cam doesn't do good closeups) I wen't a little longer than stock, as they stay in the balance bar better:

Cut your cable lengths to 50 3/4" OVERALL. You want to go 1 1/2" longer the the stock Supra cables, then braze the barrel fitting on:

Now take your center cable. I had a 80-83 Corolla which is 11 1/4" OA. The 1st gen celicas are 10 5/8" and may work w/o mods. Cut off the barrel fitting shorten the cable and braze on a new one. I think I shortened 1.75" - 2", but test fit as needed. You want to go as short as possible and still be able to install. This gives you maximum adjustement as the cables stretch over time. 9.25" - 9.75" OAL will get you in the ballpark. Go longer than stock on the barrel fitting on this one too. The middle one especially tends to cock in the balance bar during installation.

Here's the stock setup and balance bar:

After this, it's all bolt in to the stock mounting locations and you have rear disks AND a parking brake!

-------ALL.44U------- Domestic Engineer old_school_jap1's Avatar

I'd say the mk1 supras are even rarer over here then ae86 disks
    RN16 Hilux; 18RG swap underway http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40561

Quote Originally Posted by ae71 View Post
    but im trying to use bolts with this car.

Breaker of all things aka Backyard Mechanic Chrisso's Avatar

However, if you're cutting and refitting the cables/ends, does it really matter? As long as the cable and housing isn't too short to start with.
    AE86 4 shades of silver - The Lone Ranger's steed is on the road again!
    AE86 shell - waiting for a donor car from the auctions.

Junior Member Grease Monkey MnToyGuy's Avatar

The key is that the conduit/housing it the right length for the Celica to use all the stock mounting locations. AE86 housings are too short, the left side Supra housing is too long. You can order the parts new from Rockauto.com and they ship to AU. The MKI Supra and AE86 are the only 2 cables I found that seem to have the right fittings on each ends and on the housing for stock mounting points.