View Poll Results: Which ECU do you have?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • Microtech

26 14.61%
  • Adaptronic

8 4.49%
  • Haltech

14 7.87%
  • Motec

14 7.87%
  • Wolf

17 9.55%
  • Autronic

16 8.99%
  • EMS

17 9.55%
  • Power FC

5 2.81%
  • Other (Please Specify)

16 8.99%
  • Factory/No ECU

45 25.28%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What ECU do you use?

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Default What ECU do you use?

Hi all,

First off, a disclaimer. If you've come across this from another forum and already answered there, I don't expect you to write again, but if you could please tick your option in the poll again so the figures aren't missing?

I'm doing a bit of research for a paper i'm doing through work. Basically, i'm after a snapshot of peoples opinions on aftermarket ECU's and how prevelant they are. I've attached a poll to this thread outlining most of the common ECU manufacturers you come across in Australia. I can only fit 10 on the list, so for users of Link, Megasquirt etc. can you please select "Other" and specify in a post. If you have an aftermarket ECU, please select it from the poll, and if you have the time, a little spiel about what you were looking for, or why you chose it would be great.

Things like value for money, features, total cost, reputation/brand, availability of tuners, support, race results , they're all the little bits of information i'm after.

If you have an aftermarket ECU and aren't happy with it, that'd be great too, and why if you have the time.

If you don't have an aftermarket ECU, please select the appropriate option from the poll. If you're thinking about one, outline the sorts of features you're after, perhaps your budget if you're willing to divulge.

Basically i'm looking for the current market with regards to ECUs, and peoples thought process when chosing one.

Any other bits you feel you'd like to contribute would be great. Anything you think I might have missed would also be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Nathan

PS. Guys, the last thing I want is a pissing contest, please try to keep your opinions based on quantitative measures.
    Last edited by JustCallMeOrlando; 03-11-2006 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Title might appeal to a wider audience
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Aftermarket ECU choice

megasquirt.
    cheap, completely open source, reliable, massive support base, massive debugging base, massive development base.... easy and intuitive to use.... and a good learning experience.
    i think the majority of people would not be keen to solder their own ECU, or to tune it themselves... but going thru the MS project took away all the "blackmagic" surrounding EFI and ECU's and tuning......
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

megasquirt v.3 board running Msns-Extra code

(yes it runs! ... even managed to pull 11psi going around the block in 2nd gear)
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

This MegaSquirt ECU looks really cool. I have never heard of them before today! One issue it may have though; does the 'universal' loom that comes with it suit our toyotas? I am planning for a amateur race-car / daily driver and this looks like a really cool option, but will the loom be compatible with the 4AGE? Doing it all yourself from kit form will most likely increase your understanding of ECU's in general, not to mention bonding with your car! "Look baby! I made you a new brain!"

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

Lots of Motecs for me.
    They take time to tune properly, but it's well worth the effort.
    The most feeatures of any aftermarket ECU, great support, extremely reliable, etc.
    The only things I don't like are the written instructions and parts of the software, they're far from user-friendly at times.

I currently have an Autronic SMC that's 5 years old (bought it from Ray Hall).

Reasons were-
    Recommendation from a number of serious techo's/tuners/racers
    Flexibility
    Cost (compared to a motec)
    Track record

Downsides were
    not may outputs
    crappy manual
    Autronic are not particularly helpful

The current model SM4 is awesome, but not actually completely finished yet (some listed features are not yet available.

I have found both easy to tune and set-up, with some of the SM4 stuff being brilliant-especially the speed at which that the computer autotunes.

In my opinion, Autronic is the best bang for buck ECU you can get if you can stretch to the $$, however, the SM4 is perhaps using a slegehammer to crack a walnut in many street cars.

Cheers
    Sean
    [email protected], WSID, COMPAK ATTAK, MAY 2006

Dreamer Backyard Mechanic millsi's Avatar

ems for me but if a had the $$ it would be a motec

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Valkyrie's Avatar

Hi,
    One vote for the factory ecu. TA22 with a 4AGZE.

I've been looking at fitting a Megasquirt after I've fitted the 2TZ-FZE SC14 I recently purchased.

Cheers

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Hurricane's Avatar

very nice i was just in the process of lookin for some thing like dis im thinking the Megasquirt or a Wolf 3D just becouse it looks like the best for the cost and easy to tune and wire up.

Good stuff on making this mate rep points for ya
    * 84 FJ60 - 37's, 308, 80 series coils/diffs and LS1TT in the makin
    * 73 KE26 - x4 Brown Wagz
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane
    Wolf 3D
    May I ask why you think this is the best for the cost? I'm just curious as to what features make it seem this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane
    Good stuff on making this mate rep points for ya
    Not a worry Some coming back for taking the time to contribute.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

I have had my Microtech MTX8 for about 4 or 5 years now and it has worked well. Have not had any issues what so ever.

I purchased a car (wreck) that some noob had wrapped a light pole, I took all the bits I wanted (ECU, LSD, 4AGZE etc etc.) Sold all the stuff I didn't need (Profit ) and ended up with an ECU (MTX8) and a couple of things at the end which cost me nothing So I guess you could say cost was a factor back then.

I'd happily use a microtech again as my experience with it has been positive. The only thing I have found lacking in my current ECU which I would like is more outputs and to have inputs (the newer versions would satisfy my needs adequately).

Total cost including the tune was something I had to think about at the time, I fitted and wired the ECU myself and then drove it to the tuner. My tuner is quite competent with a range of ECUs and is quite proficient with Microtechs so that probably kept the price of the tune down.

Reputation/brand, several people I know had used the Microtechs and I noticed those that were tuned well worked fine so that gave me some confidence in fitting one to my car.

Support, I myself have not had any issues so I can't comment, but my brother had an issue with one of his LTX ecu's and it was resolved in a matter of days which I thought was quite good.

Race results, I have been happy with the performance on the street and track. It performs well at the drags/circuit/motorkhanas etc and returns great fuel economy and drivability on the street. It's nice to be able to drive from Canberra to Sydney - WSID, race, and drive home on one tank.

The handset is easy to operate and use for tuning/adjustments.

I'd buy one again for the same sort of use i.e. a street car that gets a little use on the track for fun.

Cheers.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Particularly those who have selected Haltech and Wolf, can anyone let me know why they've gone that route? They're slightly more expensive than the base model ECU's, and i'm after what you think makes it worthwhile spending the extra coin.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Microtech LT10s, cheap lots of inputs and outputs, cost was around $1,600-1,700, including installing and tuning, as yet no issues aparts from a long waiting time for the purchase.

Reasons for purchase, cost, wide availability of tuners, knowledge base and for what I wanted it did the job.
    If in doubt power out

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

I'm running a Haltech E6X on my Celica. I chose it because it's affordable, it's quite well known (ie lots of people can tune them), and it has more than enough features for almost any street car. So far I'm quite happy with it and I'll be purchasing another one when it comes time to upgrade the Supra.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

I have a Wolf 3D V4.

Purely because I had a friend who was working there who did me a very good price and could help with the setup. It's worked very well for me despite minimal research beforehand.

Support has been good on the one occasion I used it, emails were replied to within the hour (during business hours) and the intermitant problem diagnosed easily.

The manual isn't super easy to follow, but all the info needed is in there. And I like how they are split into installation and setup manuals.

Shortcomings would be a lack of aux. inputs/outputs, but that was fixed with V4+ and now V500.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.