Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: TA22 + rack and pinion

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Ashh's Avatar

Default Re: TA22 + rack and pinion

So with a KE70 X-member with an unshortened Rack + Unshortened LCA's from a XT130 or TA22 it'll all work together? (obviously modifying the KE70 x-member to fit in - but that shouldn't be too hard).

From reading through this thread it'll push the front track out 30mm each side?

...time for some flared guards?

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ashh View Post
    So with a KE70 X-member with an unshortened Rack + Unshortened LCA's from a XT130 or TA22 it'll all work together? (obviously modifying the KE70 x-member to fit in - but that shouldn't be too hard).

From reading through this thread it'll push the front track out 30mm each side? Aaaand that would require engineering, 25mm overall change in track seems to be the acceptable thing in most Aus jurisdictions. Anything over would require engineering. you could simply fit wheels with a deeper positive offset and re establish factory track or close to the legal requirement...time for some flared guards?
    This thread has certainly come a long way from when no one had done or documented an R and P for a TA22
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Ashh's Avatar

Engineering is not a big issue since my car also has a Turbo that needs to be engineered and a brake swap.

Need to find an engineer as well.

Also I'm under the impression it's better to get it all done and present the engineer with a finished product rather than getting him to sign off on each modification as they go?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I took the other route Ash. Called the engineer and got him to come look at the car then explained what additional changes I was proposing and then let him tell me what he would sign off on and what additional things he wanted.

Then I went and poured money on all those things and voila! gingerbeered.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer TA22 GT's Avatar

Just got myself a KE70 rack and cross member, going to give this a go on my celica. This thread has ben going for ages with no definite answers for a TA22.
    I'll post progress on my Facebook page or under my celica in the forum members area once I get started.
    At this stage I'm thinking about modifying the TA22 xmember, only because the KE70 needs mods anyway and it seems a bit light duty compared to the solidly built TA22 member.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Class...537?ref=stream
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=18819

Well into the rack and pinion conversion in my TA22. Decided to fit a KE70 rack onto my existing cross member, it's coming along nicely. Hoping to have the cross member finished in the next few days..
    All details on my face book page
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Class...537?ref=stream

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Looks super neat. Have you shortened the rack to put the rack end pivots inline with the LCA pivots on the crossmember?
    SHEPPO..

No, I didn't shorten the rack. But what I did instead was relocate the LCA brackets so they are exactly the same as the KE70. For a T series engine I think shortening the rack will result in the pinion head fouling on the sump...

So the LCA pivots are in the same position as ke70 relative to the rack ends? If so that should be right and give you the same geometry as a ke70 which is known to work well. The column is the easy bit, have a look at my build thread there's a photo of the bottom of the column. It is about the easiest way to do it.
    SHEPPO..

Quote Originally Posted by TA22 GT View Post
    No, I didn't shorten the rack. But what I did instead was relocate the LCA brackets so they are exactly the same as the KE70. For a T series engine I think shortening the rack will result in the pinion head fouling on the sump...
    Won't leaving the rack full width and moving lca points give you massive negative camber, unless you have shorter lca's, the rack outer pivots are approximately 70mm wider than TA22 lca pivot points. I don't have a ke70 rack to check, but have worked on what I have read.
    Your work still looks great, that's a similar idea I was going to use on my TA22, to much other work at the moment though.

Correct, track increase is 40mm each side. I want to increase track by 20mm each side to fill my guards out with the wheels I have. I'll be shortening my LCAs by the other 20mm so should all be good. Without this neg camber will look odd...

Pretty much finished my rack and pinion conversion. All details on my Facebook site.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Correct, track increase is 40mm each side. I want to increase track by 20mm each side to fill my guards out with the wheels I have. I'll be shortening my LCAs by the other 20mm so should all be good. Without this neg camber will look odd...
    Apologies for bringing up an old piece but I was wondering how much neg camber would you have with your 40mm each side of track. And if you had camber tops and you went to decrease all the camber would you get between -2 and -3?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyger View Post
    If you had camber tops and you went to decrease all the camber would you get between -2 and -3?
    Not sure, maybe -3. It can work with negative camber, but I personally don't like that look. Even with camber tops you will have a lot of neg camber at maximum adjustment, reducing the angle means you also increase overall width and might have issues keeping your wheels in the guards.

Just take your wheel off and add a 40mm spacer to see what it will be like, that's the best way. I know the studs wont be long enough, but I mean to just get an idea by holding it in position by hand....

I've built mine to increase track by 20mm with about -1 to -1.5 camber...

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Not sure, maybe -3. It can work with negative camber, but I personally don't like that look. Even with camber tops you will have a lot of neg camber at maximum adjustment, reducing the angle means you also increase overall width and might have issues keeping your wheels in the guards.

Just take your wheel off and add a 40mm spacer to see what it will be like, that's the best way. I know the studs wont be long enough, but I mean to just get an idea by holding it in position by hand....

I've built mine to increase track by 20mm with about -1 to -1.5 camber...
    I've got flares so keeping the wheels in isn't much of an issue as my wheels are sunken atm.
    -3 is perfectly fine for me it was what I wanted to get but I couldn't and could only get -2.
    So if I do the same as you without getting shorter LCAs it should be fine?