Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cry 02 Cooling System. Your opinions???

1G beliver Backyard Mechanic BLK1g-gte's Avatar

Default Cry 02 Cooling System. Your opinions???

Well I been researching this for a while and just wondering on Toymoders opinion on this.

The system uses Co2 (fire extinguisher gas) Gas to cool the intake charge and the intercooler.

Here is the link bellow for the product.
    http://www.alldayperformance.com.au/category144_1.htm

I was going to run the intercooler bar which sprays the Co2 onto the intercooler to cool the intake charge and then further install the Air Intake component which I am going to mount on the intake side just before the throttle body. For you 1G buffs it's going in the aluminium pipe that connects to the cooler pipes and the throttle body. This should cool the intake charge sustatly.

What I wanted opinions is how does 1g-ggte sense that there is a cooler air charge coming in. Is it via AFM or... Because the whole point apart from a cooler denser air is to have the ECU advance the timing in order to extract more power. Is this possible?

I like to know if this would be a worth while modification as I am running a set of Blitz turbos slightly larger then stock and the CT12 even the blitz one will generate substantial heat when I wound them to 17psi. Cooling the air using CO2 should give noticeable results? I am corrector in thinking this. I mean after all look at the benefits an Air- to Air intercooler gives...

Any opinions would be great.

Here is the system diagram

And a dyno sheet I got of a local WRX who used the whole kit including the fuel cooling. I don’t know whether true or not but the Gain from the Co2 was 25 rwkw on this car.

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Default Re: Cry 02 Cooling System. Your opinions???

sounds like NAWS or methanol injection, except crapper.
    will give you a bit of benefit if you're sticking with stock computer I guess. imho money is better spent elsewhere
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

ok, just re-read your post through my delightful red-wine haze, and realised you have custom twins.... so would I be correct in assuming you have an aftermarket ECU?
    if so, your money is MUCH better spent on water, methanol or nitrous injection
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

no.

do the math of the heat required to warm up the Co2 and cause sublimation... vs the heat generated by the turbo (into a large volume of gas)

10 lbs of C02... vs how many CFM or air?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

Its a toss, aimed at drag racers to pre-cool intercooler, may show extra kw for a very short period of time.

no home on a street car.

regards
    jon

I am running a stock Ecu, Using a Safc II and EBC with aftermarket cooler. Oldcorollas so its just a gimick or. But for the time it is on wouldn't in bring extra power from the cooler air intake. I mean it would have to...please explain further..

back into it Chief Engine Builder

There was a bathurst winning car that used to spray onto the intercooler, it lasted 40 seconds or something like that but it got them pole a few times.
    dosnt last long and would only be good onto the cooler with decent abient air temp and only worked because the said car was cheating{higher than allowed boost} so needed to keep control of the charged air when they hit the boost button down conrod, was only used for qualifying for obvious reasons.They also cheated with intercooler size in a very smart way

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Cooler intake equals denser charge equals bigger bang...pretty simple theory so if they can deliver a cooler intake........

Intercooler sprayers of various types have been used for years and have well demonstrated results in delivering more power. The benefit is only gonna last as long as your CO2 bottle though so unless you get some sort of thermocouple controller that only delivers gas when it's actually needed you are gonna run thru that bottle pretty quick ie good for dyno days ot the drags.

I'm less convinced about the intake chamber? Airspeeds are so high that any contact with such a aerodynamic shape is so minimal i can't see how any significant heat transfer (if any) could possibly take place.

At the end of the day you only look at these sorts of things to get the absolute max out of a setup or to cover for some deficiency in your system.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Ahhh i believe that was George furys nissan bluebird !
    Just to add my two bob :

It does have its advantages but like what has been mentioned it only last a short time and would really only be off benifit at the drag strip or on a dyno !

ST185 GrpA #135 Automotive Encyclopaedia Toobs's Avatar

I was planning on building my own Cry02 kit... I planned to have an intercooler spraybar + purge valves pointed towards the engine for fire supression with a solenoid to switch between them.

It would work out cheaper than one of these and would double as an IC spraybar:
    http://www.speedzone.com.au/trader.a...ct=337&id=5612

Quote Originally Posted by kingmick
    .They also cheated with intercooler size in a very smart way
    want to share who and how? or are people on toymods 99% not interesting enough??
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

ST185 GrpA #135 Automotive Encyclopaedia Toobs's Avatar

Yes do tell!!!

back into it Chief Engine Builder

Sorry thought i told you before ages ago, was the blue bird! I thought it was well known.

Thank for all you input...I agree that intercooler kit will work for short burst (when the co2 is on).
    Then again this is all I want it for...Dyno days and a short power burst like Calder or such.
    I think everyone is right that the intake won't have much benefit. Also I think it would be a bit of a restriction when it’s not in use, despite that the website says it won’t. It is still an object filling out intake space that can be taken by air.
    Out of curiosity anyone know would the CO2 actually lower the intake temp bellow ambient while its spraying on the cooler?
    And if so how beneficial would this be???

How did they cheat with the intercooler size? ...sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by kingmick
    Sorry thought i told you before ages ago, was the blue bird! I thought it was well known.
    how they "cheated in a very smart way" with the intercooler is well known?

perhaps you could use your knowledge to enlighten the younger generation.. instead of just hinting