Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1JZ Timing Belt Installation

www.malicious.com.au Automotive Encyclopaedia ReQuieM's Avatar

Default 1JZ Timing Belt Installation

Hey guys a few Q's.

First off this is my first timing belt change, yeah, anyway I have a mate who is a holden mechanic coming round to help out, along with some other stuff. So an way he has asked me to find out any tricks, tricky bits and also the intallation specs. Timing, timing marks, ect. Basicaly he's a GM boy and just wants to make sure there isn't anything abnormal to do and was settings needed to set shit up right.

Anyway its late notice but its tomorrow so any info would be great.

Cheers
    Leigh

BTW I did a search got nothing but I'm assuming people either know this or don't and don't care!
    Last edited by ReQuieM; 15-09-2006 at 11:23 PM.
    Malicious

Illustration, Design, etc... www.malicious.com.au

RIP James Nicol (ViPeR_NiPPleX)...

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

Default Re: 1JZ Timing Belt Installation

Quote Originally Posted by ReQuieM
    I have a mate who is a holden mechanic coming round to help out
    Uh oh, that spells trouble!

Seriously though, you might want to consider doing the water pump at the same time, as the timing belt has to come off to do that anyway, and it's not really a job you want to do twice, particularily if the motor's in the car. The same goes for the tensioner & tensioner pulley.
    I haven't acually done this myself, but did give my brother a bit of a hand when he did this on his 2J, which is very similar. Get the motor to TDC, with the cam pulley marks at the top, count the number of belt "teeth" between the two marks (just for reference), and double check everything along the way.
    If you look around you should be able to find a copy of the Toyota Service Manual, which would have to be the best reference to have, read that through before you start anything.
    I'm sure there's plenty of other people that will have more valuable/helpful information & tips on here.
    Good luck with it!

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

best to check them oil seals as i'll assume the 1j motor is getting old.. oil leaks will be the most annoying bitch to work around..

and being a holden mechanic, do the holdens even have timing belts to begin with? apart from the european models.. hmm...... it'll definitely be easier than doing a timing belt on a vectra V6 i can tell u that
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

as above - do the water pump, timing belt tensioner, and front main/cam pulley oil seals at the same time.

There are no real tricks, except that to get the drive (accessories) belt off, get a breaker bar + socket onto the nut of the tensioner (12/14mm from memory) and twist clockwise... saves lots of swearing with screwdrivers/prybars
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    There are no real tricks, except that to get the drive (accessories) belt off, get a breaker bar + socket onto the nut of the tensioner (12/14mm from memory) and twist clockwise... saves lots of swearing with screwdrivers/prybars
    Aaaah, so that's how it's done! I wish I knew this the other day!

it's amazing how few people know this!
    it only occurred to me a few weeks ago when doing the alternator on my brother's 1jz.
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Sorry to be a pain but does anyone have a link the Toyota Service Manual? I'll do a search as well but a link would be supra. That for the help thus far too!

I was going to d teh tensioner and water pump thing is the water pump is the hydrolic one ($1500 new from toyota) and the gates kit i ordered turn out to be just the belt. handy huh! Will toyota have a tensioner in stock? as in are they shared with any local engines? How likely is it that it will fail/need replacing?

Didn't even think about the seals. Anyone have a part number? I'm changing over cam gears at the same time so I should prolly do that too...
    Malicious

OH yeah found out that trick for the drive belt the other week! Shes just about all stripped down ready to go its ust a matter of the last shit and then on it goes. I just dont wanna stuff it up, hence the mechanic mate! lol
    Malicious

Got the seals part number.
    Malicious

Ok so theres no seals in under the part number 9031138041. Can any other be used in its stead? say the 2JZ cam seals?
    Malicious

Hey guys having problems getting the crank pully off. Cracked the bolt and out but the FKN pully wone budge. Using a balancer puller but they seam to work completely different to the holden joby. If any one can help can you either leave a post for me or gimmie a call on:

0428 212 370

Thanx heaps in advance!!
    Leigh
    Malicious

you're saying the holden cranky pulley puller doesn't fit?
    Or you don't know how to use the one you have?
    2 small bolts bolt the puller to the pulley. then you start screwing the big bastard centre bolt until the pulley pops off

A small steel plate with 2 holes drilled into it is the easiest/cheapest way to pull it off. There's 2 threaded holes in the pulley either side of the centre, you need to chuck the main bolt back in a few threads, put the plate over this with 2 holes in it that line up with the threaded holes in the pulley, & use 2 longish bolts to pull the pulley off the crank.
    My brother might even have pics of how we did his, if so I'll get him to put them up.

Draven its the way BigWorm said, Main bolt then the side two. The GM pully has a kin of pressure plate behind it that you srew the side three bolts into. Plus its not adjustable or variable in any way app. a puller for each pully. Had him screwed for a bit then we worked it out. Different manifactures different styles I guess. Its a saturday and he's helping me for nothing so a brain fart is fine by me! lol

Nah my problem now is that I've done the FKN belt three times now and every time its all set, timings right, tensioners re-set all good. chuck the lower belt cover on, then the crack pully. Once I start to tighten the bolt on the pully, it either jumps a couple of teeth or something weird because one hard tightening yank and bam it drops out of timing. By at least 1 tooth (on the belt).

Is there something we're missing or is the tensioner FKD? Its just peekinn me out. Does it need to be in or not need to be in gear? WTF is going on?!? So I'm going to hit it up again tomorrow and hope like F that it doesn't jump a notch again.

SO fkn sick of using that FKN harmonic balancer pully. the side bolts are too short which means I basicaly have to do it 2-3 times to pull the pully off. Cheap shit pissin me off.

Any way, I'll turn what I've learnt into a pis easy how too so first timers like me have a walk through. That is of course if I can get the belt on WITHOUT jumping out timing.
    Malicious

mine didn't jump at all, but I do have a suggestion.

Since tehre's 2 of you, get 1 person to hold the belt nice and tight (finger tight) while the other person screws in the tensioner - that was it won't be able to jump. Some movement is normal, so don't be overly concerned.
    You shouldn't be too worried by the harmonic balancer should you? it can simple stay off until you get the timing right... the tensioner can be installed without the harmonic balancer on. if you need to check the timing, the harmonic balancer bolt can be re-installed to crank the engine over without putting the pulley on. (I think.. confirmation? my memory is hazy)