Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1JZ Timing Belt Installation

www.malicious.com.au Automotive Encyclopaedia ReQuieM's Avatar

Default Re: 1JZ Timing Belt Installation

Thats the thing the timings easy to get right, but when you put it all back together get all happy that its done crack a beer have a laugh, then go to tighten the bolt on the crank pully the timing on the pully goes out. like tighting the bolt on the crank (drive belt) pully makes it jump a couple of teeth.

Thin only thing I can think of is that the tensioner isn't putting enough tension on the belt and when I tighten the bolt on the harmonic balance its literaly jumping some teeth. But like I said I'm a newb at this so I'm hoping I'm wrong!
    Malicious

Illustration, Design, etc... www.malicious.com.au

RIP James Nicol (ViPeR_NiPPleX)...

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

did you get a new tensioner?
    did you remember to pull the piun out of the tensioner?

From what you're saying, either your timing belt is too long or something in your tensioner/tensioner pulley is buggered
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

no new tensioner. belt seamed the same size when i held them up together. yeah i pulled the pin. I'm hoping that it is just the tensioner. I'll order one in on monday. hopefully that does the job.
    Malicious

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Do up the tensioner then check the belt tension between pulleys.. push on the belt and see if the tension slacks away on you at all (while watching the tensioner if possible). Even try and pull on the belt between pulleys once it's all done up and see if it wants to slip teeth.

Have you been turning the motor over 720 degrees by hand.. ie with a breaker bar before putting on the harmonic balancer etc? Turn it over a few times, recheck timing. It should slip while you're doing that if it's going to slip at all.

Besides that all I can think of would be the belt guide hasn't been put back on right and is grabbing on the belt or something like that.
    I am the sun

Don't even get that far. I grab the bracker to tighten the bolt and in the first hard pull it either slips or in some other way some other way it goes out of alignment. Its seams tight enough but then if it isn't the tensioner I have no idea what it is.

I'm going to remove it tomorrow night. I'll order in a new tensioner today and then re do it some time this week after work and hope like hell thats the problem.
    Malicious

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Have you got the crank locked in place? If not it would just be the engine turning as it tightens up?
    Put a couple of big washers (or something else to do the job) over the crank pulley bolt and put it in without the harmonic balancer on, this will stop it bottoming out.. once it tightens and starts to turn over the engine look to see where it's slipping. You'll be able to see the teeth on the crank pulley that way. Did you mark the teeth with a white out pen?

If the engine was running prior to you doing the timing belt I just doubt the tensioner would be THAT fscked..
    I am the sun

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

well unless his cam pulleys or timing crank pulley have shrunk, either the belt's too long or it's not getting enough pressure on it
    Have you also checked the condition of your tensioner pulley? It is the least likely cause of your issues, but while everything is off that's something worth doing (condition of bearing etc)
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.