Thread: Resealing tail lights

Junior Member Domestic Engineer ill-minded's Avatar

Default Resealing tail lights

ok, so after a quick search, i didn't find too much useful information.

anywho, i spent this morning dis-assembling one of the tail-lights on the celica and after cleaning it up and i've reached the stage where i need to re-seal the plastic lens to the surround (see pic).

I was intending to use some silicon, but if someone can recommend something better; or give the thumbs up to the silicon, i'd love to know, as i don't want to have to ever take the damned thing apart again on a side note though, if the need to take it apart again arises later on down the track, i'd still like to be able to separate them again.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default Re: Resealing tail lights

i used silicon to seal up the soarer's lenses, with a bit of window cleaner i was able to make the bead of silicon reasonably fine and moulded, but in general didn't look very 'factory'
    luckily it was in an area that doesn't get seen so it wasn't really an issue. if that is an area that is seen, i would recommend you be very careful how you bead the silicon and still have it look neat.

i don't think i'll have to worry about the silicon getting anywhere, as the groove in the outer piece where the glue will go is basically covered over by the lens when it gets pressed in. the only way that it could get messy is if the glue squirts out the sides, but as my dad suggested, if i run the bead around the inner edge, it should be fine.

silicon might be the go if you've had reasonable success with it

Can I Fondle Your Grease Monkey

You can get bosch auto sealant from supercheap but if you've got some selleys silicon left over, id use that.

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Silicon is garbage and if you need to ever pull it off again then good luck, leave the silicon for your shower. Go buy some stuff called butyll mastic, it comes it a tube and youll also need a caulking gun. You can buy it in black and white and you also use it to seal windows and the lights to the body. It can also be removed with prep sol easily and also stays rubbery on the inside while remaining hard on the outside.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

black windscreen sealant is good stuff and easy to work with. (edit: is that the butyl stuff?)
    selleys "all-clear" on the otherhand, is sticky and messy to work with, but nice and strong.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

sikaflex
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

well i've stuck together the light with silicon to start with and i'll see how this goes. this one is just the spare (as its not as good as the one i replaced it with) so if this one holds up alright i'll probably save myself some money and use the silicon that we've already got lying around.

if else fails, i'll be off to buy some of that butyl mastic stuff as it sounds the goods and use that when i fix the other light.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    black windscreen sealant is good stuff and easy to work with. (edit: is that the butyl stuff?)
    Yes it is. I have a feeling it goes by different names though

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by love ke70
    sikaflex
    Agreed.
    I wouldnt use anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by MWP
    Agreed.
    I wouldnt use anything else.
    I disagree, once again leave it for the bathroom

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

sikaflex isnt even a bathroom product :S
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

DIY Bloodline Domestic Engineer Talasas's Avatar

I use Mastic (there are different kinds like D and M I think) to seal my tail lights on the body of the car if there are any irregularites in the shape of the body or the light. The reason I like is because it's black, 100% waterproof and you can still remove them if you need to, it's not 'adhesive' like sikaflex.

It is however, a complete pain to work with and gets all over your hands and clothes, but it does the job.
    Last edited by Talasas; 16-07-2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG

Yeh the mastic is the stuff i suggested before. Definately the one and only product to use for tsil lights and windows. Sixaflex and silicon are a real pita to get off ones its on.