Thread: info on st165 histroy etc

More GO Than SHOW! 1st year Apprentice 3S-GTE_Man's Avatar

Default info on st165 histroy etc

Hey people. i haven't been on here for a while, but as of the Saturday morning before last my baby for the last 5 years, my first car the nutters gt-2 was written off by a stray horse 4-5km from home after a night out being the deso driver. I'll post pics in the members rides section later but i currently looking at a st165 thats going for cheap, also a st162 shell with another mircotech and hand controller ( i have these in the wreak at home anyways). full 3in system ( i didn't have this just a 3in dump and 3in rear muffler) and some 16mags that i might be able to sell off or might fit the st205 breaks i have!

now nothing mechanical is wreaked in the crash just the roof it all caved in like its been in a roll over.

the gt-4 is in alright condition but has some iffy points....its a series one model (horizontal rear wipper, serise one grill and tail lights, the turbo seals are gone and the slave clutch thingy is dieing too (thats not much of a problem for me) its only 3999ono and i love it the electronic drivers seat still good and the sunroof ( i had a sun roof and would love to have it again (the st162 shell doesn't have one) but the firewall on the st165 is all st162 the plates and that the ingraved bit near teh brake booster etc...it was dark and i didn't check for a ard plate like adm would have but i think its a JDM one and maybe someone stole it ages back or it was like that from japan. it even has something i've never seen them have, the old turbo on boost light like land cruiser turbo diesel have and not factory boost gauge where the st162 voltage woulod be it "center diff lock" (much like the land cruiser ones) light and display and the turn dail switch in the cneter consol between the power mirrors and the electronic drivers seat switch. i've never seen that before!

but yeah i would love a st165 there so rare and the st185 3s-gte i have that is worked of its head and all that would go every nicely in it, it is rego'd atm and i took it for a drive and drove good for the stuff slave clyinder and turbo seals the box was nice and didn't grind or nothing like that!....if i was to get the st165 i would drive it for a bit then pull it off the road for a full resoration and my engine and microtech and respary etc in it and get me a cheapy a-b car

with the shell i have what i have and some extra stuff a microtech i can sell and hand controler and maybe some mags but need a drive around car asap then..

both body and in pretty good condition just need minor touch ups none more than what be done in prep for a full re spary

i love the gt-4 and its extra goodies and posible gem when its finished and the awd tracko with the shit load of power i plan to have...but it that iffy thing that consered me....i really want it...lol

btw with the gt-4 he let me right down the vin number and all that and rego the vin number in graved to the firewall is the same as the plate on it but still its iffy and can get it all checked out but i don't know what to do i really want it and its rego'd now so whats wrong... help please!

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Default Re: info on st165 histroy etc

So the chasis number started with st162 instead of st165?

That's really weird, sounds like it might be stolen and they've swapped the vin and rego plates over for registration purposes? I'd be getting the engine number too and checking that

What colour is it?
    I am the sun

the always broken 165 Carport Converter piggy's Avatar

well nezz

i have a series 165 (basically like that) mine dosen't have a sunroof which is good
    the diff lock switch in the middle of the cabin when used gives it an equal 50 50 split of power but if off(which is what you should leave it as) if you loose traction in one end it gives all power to the opposite end
    1974 TA22 Celica the new project
    2002 UZS171 Crown daily
    st165 white forged gen2 3sgte 264deg cams, 1000cc injectors, side facing plenum, GT30, CBR600 COP, 205 gbox, diff and calipers, haltech ecu,coilovers, 3'' exhaust, water meth injection 235AWKW @ 22psi 12.29@117MPH 1.885 60'

yeah i had a big torch to look down the fire wall doesn't look like its cuts and welded cause i mean u would have to cut it different so there still some st165 bit of it for the drive shaft.
    its gray! its has to be jdm too cause the of the diff look thingy and 180km/h speedo and i think aussie only got serise two type ones...

Quote Originally Posted by 3S-GTE_Man
    yeah i had a big torch to look down the fire wall doesn't look like its cuts and welded cause i mean u would have to cut it different so there still some st165 bit of it for the drive shaft.
    its gray! its has to be jdm too cause the of the diff look thingy and 180km/h speedo and i think aussie only got serise two type ones...
    no australia never got 165s mine is a series 1 a mate has a series 2 series 2 never had a diff lock in the cabbin either
    2002 UZS171 Crown daily
    st165 white forged gen2 3sgte 264deg cams, 1000cc injectors, side facing plenum, GT30, CBR600 COP, 205 gbox, diff and calipers, haltech ecu,coilovers, 3'' exhaust, water meth injection 235AWKW @ 22psi 12.29@117MPH 1.885 60'

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

There were no aus delivered st165's to my knowledge?!

edit: i thought right
    I am the sun

fuck thats right for some reason i thorught there was for a stupid reason.....but yeah it could have been done in japan and if so then not a porblem....but its wreid!

yeah i through the diff lock thingy would have it put in 50/50 manual override but lights doesn't work so i don';t think it does it! so when its off say you dump it off the line its finds the best tracko...

but yeah if it checks out i'm tempeted!

fuck thats right for some reason i thorught there was for a stupid reason.....but yeah it could have been done in japan and if so then not a porblem....but its wreid!

yeah i through the diff lock thingy would have it put in 50/50 manual override but lights doesn't work so i don';t think it does it! so when its off say you dump it off the line its finds the best tracko...

but yeah if it checks out i'm tempeted!

yeah man go for it 165 ftw there a great car but i cant beleive there poping up everywhere lol
    2002 UZS171 Crown daily

the main thing i love about the st165....praticly bolt in tein's muahahahaha with EFDC and ca upgrade the rear to st185 hubs and put st205 rear breaks on her i got st205 front for her!

Gravel Lover Backyard Mechanic stumpygt4's Avatar

165 FTW, the best looking GT4 in my opinion
    Jeff Thomas
    TOYOTA TEAM CELICA
    1 x 1989 ST165 rally car, 1 x 1988 ST165 GT4 spare car & 1 ST185 khana cross car. (for now )
    1 x GT86

A real nowhere man Backyard Mechanic 88FOUR's Avatar

They are a great looking car, ..and unassuming to the other performance "commons" out there. ...you cant get teins for em though. ..would be nice. ...and they are popping up every where of late..when I brought mine I had been looking for one for about two years..after I brought one...(proudly driving my rare gt four)...another guy, in the same car, the same colour drives right past me going the other way...FUCK...why..hehee, ..then I saw a white one on the south side...(Brisbane)....and if these two guys, one with a grey and one with a white st165 in brisbane visit this site, drop us a line, ..I am sure we all have the same work that must be done to these old school thrashed-out-over-19-year old cars...LOL

a mate of mine lives up the road he has a 165 now as well lol there use to be 3 of us that use to get around with 165's 2 white and a grey one i also saw another white one from the central coast is scary how you don't see them and then you see heaps of them lol
    2002 UZS171 Crown daily

GT4 Freak, and Conversion King Squid's Avatar

the main thing i love about the st165....praticly bolt in tein's muahahahaha with EFDC and ca upgrade the rear to st185 hubs and put st205 rear breaks on her i got st205 front for her!

Yeah it isn't too hard to install them...But: EDFC will not clear a stock 165 bonnet....
    ST185 GrpA #116
    ST165 GT4 Project Car - Soon with v6 goodness.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full, rather the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

cruisin in a z30 Automotive Encyclopaedia -=DV=-'s Avatar

go for it...st165s are the king of all gtfours!....i miss mine sooo much
    JZZ30 Soarer

wow....only one toyota now, at one point i owned 6....whats happened to me :S