Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prototype/Programmable 4AG ECU? Anyone know anything? 56k

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Prototype/Programmable 4AG ECU? Anyone know anything? 56k

Yeah I have a standard AE86 ECU here, and should be getting a standard AE82 ecu this weekend. So will use one of them for the car when its finally running. But may put this Rom ecu in and just see what it does at some stage. Worth a tinker I reckon.

Toymods Club Member Backyard Mechanic auto351's Avatar

Very nice ECU,

Hard to say if this is a Toyota part but what I do know is the CPU D151801 can run with external ROM of 64K, (normally its 12K internal)

The D151801 when used with internal ROM has 2 I/O ports for running injectors coil and the like, But when you run in external mode you use the 2 I/O for addressing, the piggyback board also has a PIA with provides 2 I/O ports so this board is emulating the D151801 while running external memory.

The two memory chips 32K & 16K I’m not sure if one holds the machine code while the other holds the maps as in the standard ECU they are mixed in the available 12K.

Reprogramming would be very simple with your standards EPROM programmer, what do you put into it maybe a lot harder.

If this was a Toyota development unit they would keep the coding the same (mix code and maps together ) so they can then port the code across to the smartcard CPU without to many changes, so there would be no reason to fit 48K of ROM as this would never fit into the standard 12K CPU.

I would think some one has made up this board with the Denso logo to pass it as factory ECU or maybe some type of rally special fitted to race car.

The on-board bus carries a lot of info like timing fuel mixture & that plug may be a serial interface to log real time data,

More info on fuel maps, timing maps, code extraction, dissembler available here,
    Let me know if you want to part with it?

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73379

Forum Member

Just to clarify, the 2732 is a 4kByte EPROM, and the 2716 is a 2kByte, so the total storage space here is 6kByte, about right for this vintage of processor.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

sard do similar ecu's for the 4age 20v's, raises the rpm limiter with different ignition and fuel maps, possibly similar in your case.

put on a dyno, do a run, swap them over do a run again, you may notice a difference, only way to tell.

killswitch,

Are you able to backup your EPROMS and email me the code?
    I will run it through the decompiler and see what comes out.

also cant really see the full numbering on the white CPU in the standard ECU are you able to post the numbering for both CPU chips?
    Last edited by auto351; 24-12-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by auto351
    killswitch,

Are you able to backup your EPROMS and email me the code?
    I will run it through the decompiler and see what comes out.

also cant really see the full numbering on the white CPU in the standard ECU are you able to post the numbering for both CPU chips?
    I don't have the tools at my disposal to do that currently, but I believe a friend of a friend might. So if I can get him to read the EPROMS I shall most certainly email them to you, that would be great.

The CPU numbers from the standard AE86 ECU are:
    175770-0033
    01-2-160
    8326 E02

And which other chip did you want sorry? If you meant the CPU in the engineering ECU I assume thats this chip :
    151801-1230
    F356-0146
    8428A

I recently contacted a person I found on another forum who raced a car that used a TRD Group A ECU. He was very helpful and got back to me with this:

Hmm, that looks very similar to what mine was (I no longer have it - sold it along with the racecar) although the ribbon cable was soldered directly to the top circuit board instead of by a connector like on yours.

My board didn't have the components IC7 to IC12 populated so apparently yours is a slightly different revision. IC7 is a 2Kx8 SRAM chip mapped to $E000 on the CPU memory space so it could be possible that the program on the EEPROMs is different if it requires the extra RAM (the MCU has 2KB of RAM built-in, IIRC). On the other hand, the RAM isn't necessarily being used by the program code and TRD may have left it out on later revisions to decrease the production cost (along with the ribbon connector).

Mine didn't have the other blue connector on top of the wiring loom connectors either, but that's probably only meant for post-production quality control.
    And these pictures:

Has a pet Grease Monkey

A daughter board emulating the CPU (or adapting it for external memory) - that used to be the only way to "chiptune" TCCS ECU's. Only few companies could do it, but it was the way to go back in the day.

If this is such a tuned ecu or a full retrofit, at least it's an early one - zero SMD count. Also, a retrofit or tuned ECU would lack those extra mounting bosses in the casing, and use a different way to stack the boards.

Seems plausible for TRD to base their ECUs upon Toyota's own engineering ECUs as well, so I'm pretty sure that must be what it is. Very interesting find.
    Last edited by web; 29-12-2008 at 10:43 PM.

Has a pet Grease Monkey

btw, you guys are inspiring me to pull the cover off all Toyota ECU's I can find Just to see what's inside. That supramania thread is epic, too...

Ya, that the info.

Also if you look next to the memory chips you will see the mapping address, like E000 , the other two I cant see can you get these as well? one looks like E800? this will indicate if the code is running from the internal or external.

senior backyard mechanic Grease Monkey legend's Avatar

building my 4agte ae82

Forum Member

Wow, that's pricey.

US$$1500 you woulde able to buy a aftermarket unit with more features,
    But the cams are included

lets see if it sells & at what price !!!

Not trying to be a Carport Converter

so theres a date 9/11 or 11/9 '84, program name on that ECU, and ae85 on the cover, have you tried emailing TRD? Maybe someone who works for one of the rally teams might know? I really don't know much about ECU's but i'd be trying TRD australia or something to see if they are willing to help with info *shrug*

Junior Member Domestic Engineer RobertoX's Avatar

US$$1500 you woulde able to buy a aftermarket unit with more features,
    It does also come with cams... still seems a little expensive though, but if it sells then it wasn't overpriced to someone
    Last edited by RobertoX; 08-02-2009 at 10:45 PM.

I just dug this ECU up again whilst cleaning out some car crap. I haven't had a chance to do anything with it, life got in the way and all that. But I was wondering if anyone else may have stumbled across any new info?